Thursday, April 24, 2008

Day of Silence 4.25.08


Friday, April 25th, Silence traditionally begins 10am and is broken at 6pm!



"The National Day of Silence brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. This year’s event will be held in memory of Lawrence King, a California 8th-grader who was shot and killed Feb. 12 by a classmate because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. Hundreds of thousands of students will come together on April 25 to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior." Whether you are a student, a faculty member or just a concerned citizen please see how you can get involved in this important day that has shaped and changed the lives of many Queer and straight allied students around the country. Order your t-shirts, print out your silent cards, and see what you can do to be active on behalf of GLBT equality."


Printable cards to notify people of why you are silent:
CLICK HERE!


http://www.dayofsilence.org/

6 comments:

Queers United said...

Did anyone participate in the Day of Silence or Breaking the Silence. How was it? How did people react to you?

Anonymous said...

I did! I'm in grade 11 and I organized the event at my high school. We had about 50-60 people participating and it was amazing! The reactions were mostly positive, except for my slightly homophobic law teacher who was goading me a bit. It was a great day!

Queers United said...

Hey Miss,

Kudos to you for taking the initiative to lead and for the success. What sort of problem did your law teacher give you? It might be something you want to pursue further. Faculty should embrace student activism and encourage an environment of safety and understanding.

Anonymous said...

gah, I wrote a comment, but it didn't go through!

Anyways, he was just being silly, like egging me on for its own sake. For example, saying "today we're going to discuss gay marriage, and why I think it's a bad idea", and then not actually saying anything further.

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm not a youth any more :( I did participate. Since I spend a lot of time around town blogging, I had a lot of exposer. I handed out some fliers and cards. Plus for my weekly live video broadcast, from a local coffee shop, I sat in silence for the full hour. All of the regular audience members sat in silence as well!

My sponsors weren't that happy about it. But they got it later.

Queers United said...

miss i guess it depends on the context of how your teacher said it. if he was kidding around and laughing than i guess its innocent otherwise he sounds like an ass to me.

Post a Comment