Saturday, June 7, 2008

Dish Network Votes Down on Anti-Gay Discrimination Proposal

According to the Denver Post:

"Dish Network shareholders shot down a proposal Thursday that would bar the company from discriminating against employees based on their sexual orientation.

At the company's annual meeting, a representative for the New York City Employees Retirement System — which holds 533,032 shares — floated a resolution to add a clause in the company's equal-opportunity policy that would prohibit discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees. More than 90 percent of voters rejected it.

Executives insisted that GLBT employees are not subject to harassment at the company, which follows federal anti-discrimination guidelines, which do not include sexual orientation. The board of directors recommended that shareholders vote against the resolution.

Colorado has an anti-discrimination law protecting gay employees, signed by Gov. Bill Ritter last year. Ergen said the company follows state law in Colorado.

"We just don't appreciate the proposal," he said."
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customer_service/contact_us/email/index.asp

Phone: (303) 723-1000

7 comments:

Queers United said...

I thought twice about this because they claim to follow the state law, but I don't see why they would vote down this proposal, even if they follow state law it would show good measure to have this on the books.

This is what I wrote them:

"Your rejection of protections for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender people in your recent shot down of an anti-discrimination proposal is disturbing. I will be boycotting Dish Network and encouraging everyone else to do so."

Miss Vicki said...

Okay, no Dish Network for me.

Anonymous said...

None for my household, either. That is absolutely outrageous.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I have been looking for a place to share my opinion concerning DISH Network. Your blog is great. I should say that it has been a disaster. The thing is that I subscribed for DISH Network. As the validity period of our contract ran out, the company did not stop billing me for the services which I did not get. Look through www.pissedconsumer.com and learn what else problems may occur with the company.

Queers United said...

Wow Den you must be terribly pissed having created a blog about Dish network. I don't subscribe to it so no worries.

Anonymous said...

Ever notice how DISH network never carried LOGO either?

Queers United said...

I don't have it so I didn't know.

Post a Comment