Monday, July 27, 2009

Southern AAA Reverses Policy and Recognizes LGBT Families

7/27/09: "During a face-to-face meeting on Wednesday, July 21, between Equality Florida and AAA South, top management at the 4th largest AAA affiliate in the country committed to recognizing all spouses, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. The policy allows gay married couples to receive spousal discounts under AAA's Associate Membership program" (Planet Transgender).

Send AAA South a thank you letter with Equality Florida's E-form for their commitment to equality


6/29/09: The American Automobile Association (AAA) is a 50 million member North-American lobbying, insurance and service organization. The organization isn't a single entity but comprised of several smaller regional clubs.

Equality Florida is reporting that "AAA South is made up of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and Puerto Rico and that they have taken an increasingly hard line in rejecting the recognition of gay and lesbian couples"

The problem is that there are some reports that "AAA refused to provide a family or associate membership to the callers partner to even those who were legally married elsewhere or have civil union or domestic partnership status." In fairness to the company there are also many statements by couples who claim they had no problems and faced no discrimination.

Other AAA's around the country are fully inclusive and recognize LGBT families.

Contact AAA South membership services and urge them to promote fairness and adopt a uniform standard for dealing with LGBT individuals and couples.

Membership services:
1-800-222-1134

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont forget Alabama, I was refused membership for my partner also. AAA said that same sex couples do not meet the legal requirement of the definition of "Spouse"

John R in Birmingham

Cliff said...

My partner and I had no problem registering. In fact, when he broke his glasses recently, the AAA discount we received at LensCrafters was more than the annual membership cost.

Cliff in Atlanta

Anonymous said...

My wife and I are on the same houshold membership and have both utilized services from AAA with no problem whatsoever. We are pleased with their personal service. Recently when I called to get trip-tix for a trip we are taking, the person helping me was so sweet, as we were saying good-bye he wished Ginger (my wife) and I a good trip even though I had not mentioned her. I was really impressed. I'm definetly renewing our membership!
Pamela & Ginger
Texas

Anonymous said...

How very interesting. It's good to see AAA taking positive steps when it comes to equality.

Anonymous said...

WRONG! We were denied an associate membership - so does this mean you must be married in another state? We live in Marietta,GA.

Queers United said...

Well same-sex couples cannot marry in Georgia so I assume it is only out of state recognition.

Anonymous said...

Benefits are iffy. We have life insurance for myself and my partner, he has an associate membership, but were told we do not meet the requirements because of how Texas defines "spouse" for travel insurance.

C&J
Texas

Post a Comment