Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The American Institute of Bisexuality Launches Message of Hope: It Gets Better

The "It Get's Better" campaign has become a worldwide phenomenon with thousands uploading videos telling LGBT youth in crisis that life will get better. The campaign is in response to the alarming rate of suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning young people.

The American Institute for Bisexuality has stepped up to the plate to release a new video showcasing some bisexuals who are joining the campaign to stop queer suicide.



H/T to BiNet USA

2 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

That is so cool!

AlterPride said...

It's nice to see bisexual people speaking out for a positive cause :) We need more videos like this, if anything to expose bisexuality as a legitimate sexual orientation.

So often, being "bi" remains that topic that nobody wants to touch, and virtually the only public awareness of its existence is in the LGBT initialism -- pretty much everything else in the news is about gay, lesbian, and trans. And I can only imagine what kind of message that sends to struggling bisexual youth.

Surprisingly, I'm still afraid to come out as bisexual. Only my mom, and a handful of close friends and coworkers even know. I'll readily admit to being genderqueer before ever admitting to my sexual orientation because most people I encounter (particularly gay and lesbian friends, surprising as it may seem) either don't take it seriously or condemn me for it. I'm tired of being asked why I chose to be bi. I'm tired of being told I'm on the path to being gay. I'm tired of being told that I'm just confused. I'm tired of being told that I'm afraid of commitment. I'm tired of being told that bisexuality is just a myth.

I think it would be interesting to do a study of the prevalence of LGBT youth. Not surprisingly, the statistical results would probably under-report by at least one half the actual incidence of bisexuality -- simply because bisexual people are constantly made to feel afraid to come out.

--Randall

Post a Comment