Friday, October 31, 2008

Obama on Supreme Court Appointments & Marriage

Obama on the Supreme Court:

"And so my criteria, for example, would be-- if a Justice tells me that they only believe the strict letter of the Constitution-- that means that they possibly don't mean-- believe in-- a right to privacy that may not be perfectly enumerated in the Constitution but, you know, that I think is there. I mean, the-- the right to marry who you please isn't in the Constitution. But I think all of us assume that if a state-- decided to pass a law saying, "Brian, you can't marry the woman you love," that you'd think that was unconstitutional. Well, where does that come from? I think it comes from a right to privacy-- that may not be listed in the Constitution but is implied by the structure of the Constitution."

Crossposted via Good As You.

3 comments:

Sabertooth Screaming Lemur said...

I'm sorry, what?
Is it just me, or was that really hard to understand? A entire paragraph later and I still don't know what he thinks about gay marriage OR the Supreme Court. Gah.

Anonymous said...

OK. WHEW! Thanks to that comment above I do not feel like a total dolt for just not really understanding what was trying to be conveyed... hmm... is there Cliff Notes for this quote? ;)

Queers United said...

I think what he is saying is positive. He is saying that nowhere in the constitution does it say gays can marry, but nowhere in does it say they can't either. He saying it would be unconstitutional to deny anyone marriage rights.

Post a Comment