Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day: Queer Poverty

Today is Blog Action Day and the topic is poverty. There isnt much talk about poverty and economic crisis in the LGBT community. There exists many people who suffer with terrible financial problems and many youth who are left homeless. Discimination and lack of opportunity because of sexual orientation and gender identity is unacceptable.

So in honor of the day and the topic at hand I'd like to highlight an organization doing great work in this arena. Queers for Economic Justice. Find out how you can get involved in promoting economic justice.

Tips for helping out underprivileged queers:

1. Donate to Queers for Economic Justice or a local LGBT homeless shelter.

2. "Clothes are for closets" - donate some old clothes, or sheets, to an LGBT homeless center.

3. Donate some canned goods and products to a Queer community center that serves underprivileged LGBT people.

Support any and all efforts to make a change for LGBT people who are economically challenged.


Blog Action Day 2008 Poverty from Blog Action Day on Vimeo.

I encourage my fellow bloggers to join in Blog Action's Day effort to discuss the global poverty crisis. Of course I couldn't help but put a queer spin on it ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Merle Dean Shamblin and I would like to be your new friend. I sure could use somebody to chat with. I am a 46 year old long haul truck driver who currently lives in Duncan Oklahoma. Dec 8th 1960 I was born in Fairview Oklahoma. Moved to Caddo and Washita counties where I attended school at Colony Hydro and Weatherford. My parents Malvin and Wanda Shamblin were cotton and peanut farmers. Dad died in 99 from lung cancer. Graduated from SWOSU with a business degree. My two sisters are LaDonna Hubert and Malva Burrahm. Dennis is my brother. I have been a truck driver for 14 years and have driven 2 million paid miles. I have received many safe driving awards over the years. I am single and have never been married. I have a wide range of interests and am pretty much an open book. Currently I drive a 2006 Freightliner for a major carrier. I dont go to Canada very often. I dont have a dedicated route so I run the entire lower 48. I enjoy reading cinema music sports travel etc. I am gay versatile.

Post a Comment