Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New York to Vote on Marriage Equality Shortly

New York Governor David Patterson has promised that he will get the NY State Senate to vote on marriage equality in the coming days. The governor has been committed to getting this legislation passed and signed into law but the NY state senate has been a wrestling rink between republicans and democrats resulting in a stalemate on many issues that occurred this summer.

Now that the senate is in the hands of the Democrats by a slim 32-30 margin, there is a real chance for this issue to be voted on. While the issue may get a vote, the outcome is less than certain as some democrats will oppose it, and some republicans support it.

Be sure to contact your senator and urge their support!

Take action with this neat click-to-call widget I found over at Good As You.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, I hope my state doesn't screw this up. NOH8!

Diane J Standiford said...

Hard to believe the home of Stonewall...2009...NY should hang their heads.

Diane J Standiford said...

Stonewall, it is 2009, NY, COME ON!

Kelly said...

Crossing my fingers! NOH8!!!!!

Stone said...

I sincerely hope that this time it really does go through. I'm trying to hold out on going to Connecticut. It is way past time for New York to recognize what six other States (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, Maine and most recently New Hampshire) have already. New York is supposed to be a melting pot. One of the most accepting and progressive places. Time to show it. Marriage Equality now!

Anonymous said...

How novel, a governor in support of marriage equality laying down the law to a Senate body.

Whereas here in RI we have Donald "The Asshole" Carcieri (R) for our governor. He's an Anti-gay bigot from the very beginning.

I have nicknames for all the main opposition to marriage equality though. Maggie "The Loathsome" Gallagher, Brian "Pumpkin Face" Brown, Chris "The Whore" Plante of NOM RI.

Merlyn said...

I'm keeping my fingers, too,even though I don't live in New York and married in Canada a couple of years ago. I want all GLBT people to have the same happiness I have

Alex Bales said...

Don't screw this up NY. This may be the only thing I agree with your governor on.

Post a Comment