Saturday, October 4, 2008

Open Forum: Queer Bookworms

We take for granted how easy it is for most of us to access queer fiction as well as non-fiction today. There was a time when LGBTQI people craved books solely about their lives but they came up empty handed when perusing the shelves. Even today there are very few books out there for people who are asexual, intersexual, or queer. We also do face some struggles at certain libraries and bookstores who refuse to carry queer lit for a host of reasons including religious objections, or on the grounds that the book is sexually oriented.

Even in the face of opposition to queer literature many bookstores and libraries are carrying books with topics of interest to sexual and gender minorities. The internet is also a great way to access information or to purchase an obscure book you wouldn't normally find. We also often have trendy gay bookstores within urban centers that specifically carry themes we want and many LGBT centers have a library or stack of books where one can take out a book free of charge.

So, what are your favorite queer books and why? Any good recommendations?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Teahouse Fire, by Ellis Avery. About a girl who experiences a huge culture clash and discovers her sexuality at the same time. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Gossamer Axe by Gael Baudino. A pagan lesbian rock and roll tale and very well written. Unfortunately it is out of print but still easy to find at used book stores. If you know music I understand the book stays true to music theory but for the rest of us it is just magic.

Anonymous said...

Oh and one of my favorites - In Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series, The Saga of the Renunciates. It is three books that are placed together in one.

T. R Xands said...

I remember reading my first lesbian story in an anthology of female erotica that my mom had. Uh, don't ask me why she had it or how I go it...and damned if I can remember the title.

I was watching some interviews from Clive Barker on Youtube and I thought of this topic because he's openly gay and pretty well known. There's actually a few authors I enjoy that are gay/lesbian but for the life of me I can't bring to mind any particular books that handle LGBT themes...after I read your post I was like "I wonder why /sarcasm" but it's still weird...I really should get more into the literature I think.

Not Important said...

Many years ago, I owned the David Brandstetter mystery novels, but I lent them out and lost touch with the person who had them.

I enjoyed the LQTBG(etc.) horror fiction that included Andrew the Gay Vampire from the late 80s.

Anonymous said...

The Door at the Top of the Stairs by Alison Naomi Holt. A truly incredible, moving experience. The characters, the relationships, everything about the book strikes a cord.

Post a Comment