The Presidential Inaugural Committee may not change their minds on Rev. Warren but President-elect Obama can turn the corner on this controversy by officially committing to HRC's Blueprint for Positive Change – a concrete plan for LGBT equality.
HRC's Blueprint for Positive Change calls on President-elect Obama to:
- Issue an Executive Order within the first 100 days that reaffirms protections for federal workers based on sexual orientation and expands them to also include gender identity;
- Work with Congress to sign Hate Crimes legislation into law within 6 months;
- Support only a fully inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA);
- In the first 100 days develop a plan to begin the process of eliminating the failed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy; and
- Work with Congress to end unequal tax treatment of domestic partnerships benefits.