Monday, June 22, 2009

Senator Chris Dodd: "I Support Marriage Equality"

Former presidential candidate and current U.S. senator from the state of Connecticut Chris Dodd has come out in support of marriage equality for same-sex couples. Senator Dodd who formerly voted for the Defense of Marriage Act and supported the distinction of civil unions now feels that he should not stand on the wrong side of history.

"My young daughters are growing up in a different reality than I did. Our family knows many same-sex couples - our neighbors in Connecticut, members of my staff, parents of their schoolmates. Some are now married because the Connecticut Supreme Court and our state legislature have made same-sex marriage legal in our state.

But to my daughters, these couples are married simply because they love each other and want to build a life together. That's what we've taught them. The things that make those families different from their own pale in comparison to the commitments that bind those couples together.

And, really, that's what marriage should be. It's about rights and responsibilities and, most of all, love.

I believe that, when my daughters grow up, barriers to marriage equality for same-sex couples will seem as archaic, and as unfair, as the laws we once had against inter-racial marriage.

And I want them to know that, even if he was a little late, their dad came down on the right side of history"
(Pam's House Blend).
Thank Senator Dodd for supporting full equality for LGBT Americans for receiving a 100% rating from the Human Rights Campaign.

U.S. Senator Chris Dodd
448 Russell Building | Washington D.C., 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2823 | Fax: (202) 224-1083

E-contact form

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Things like this make me so proud to say I'm from Connecticut. Senator Dodd may be a little late but he is a good senator and clearly a good guy. Hopefully this isn't an Obama-esque ploy to get votes, if so I've fallen hook line and sinker for it all.

Anonymous said...

What an enlightened point of view. I wish there were a lot more people in this world that shared his philosophy.

Truthspew said...

This is great. I suspect if you polled RI's senators they'd come down on our side too.

Rebecca said...

While late, I think he is sincere. I think his daughters really changed his mind.

Merlyn said...

See, you really CAN teach an old dog new tricks (this is coming from an old dog, BTW). It's nice to see this change. Bt hey, my late mum was 91 when I told her I was marrying my spouse in Canada--and she showed up at our wedding, happy that I was settling down. (Before this she wasn't supportive of marriage equality, but then she decided that my happiness was more important than what people might think.

It's nice to see some of the older generation realising that there are new realities out there in the world and adjusting to them instead of trying to live in some little 1950s never-never land.

Post a Comment