Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tell Congress to Support the Uniting American Families Act of 2009

The Uniting American Families Act of 2009 (UAFA) will be reintroduced this week in congress. Immigration Equality is asking us to contact our representative and urge them to support and be a co-sponsor of the upcoming bill.

1. Find out who your U.S. House Representative is. Go to, enter your address, and you will be provided the name of your U.S. Representative.
2. Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202)224-3121 and ask to be connected to your U.S. Representative.
3. Tell your representative’s staff:

I am calling to ask Representative ________________ to be an original cosponsor of the Uniting American Families Act of 2009. To cosponsor, he/she must contact Rep. Jerrold Nadler who is the lead sponsor.

The U.S. government discriminates against gay and lesbian binational couples by not allowing us to sponsor our foreign-born life partners for immigration. Because of this, we face the terrible choice of separating from the person we love or leaving our country. As Americans, we should not have to choose between family and country. Please ask Rep. _________________ to cosponsor the Uniting American Families Act of 2009 by reaching out to Rep. Nadler before February 12.

1 comment:

LeeWhiteNC said...

This is something that is very near and dear to my heart. I met someone in Denmark, who moved with me to Honduras. We spent almost six years together when I was transferred back to the USA. It was at that time, I found out that I could not sponsor my other half. We tried all different avenues, but nothing worked. He has since returned to Denmark and we are no longer together. My heart still aches from the void that this injustice has created in my life.

Post a Comment