Sunday, January 18, 2009

Guerilla Gay Bar San Diego

Guerilla Gay Bar San Diego is a new group that turns activism into a fun time. Once a month they choose an unsuspecting bar, that predominantly caters to straight folks, and they decide to go by the hoards and turn the bar into a gay friendly bar for the night.

It is empowering and fun for the community to show its strength as well as pick out new locations to party. It also gives the straight world a chance to see, mingle, and interact with the LGBT community on a personal level.

Sound fun? One night during the first week each month. Sign up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it's a good idea. Usually, gay bars are places where non-queer people don't visit anyway, except in company with a gay friend. The first time I visited a gay bar was in just the opposite way. After the Christmas dinner with classmates, a closeted gay proposed the group to visit his favorite bar. I knew that it was a gay bar, since it's in the same street I live, but the rest of the class didn't realize until they were inside. It was his way of coming out. Without his help, I think that none of us would visit a gay bar.

Queers United said...

I think it is a cool idea too, they aren't the first, this has been going on for a while but this is a new group so I figured id highlight their efforts.

Anonymous said...

THE BEST OF THE WORST... STay away from the Bar "The Hole".. Big trouble going on there . Beware, Beware Beware.... Cops are going to shut it down

Emily Alpert said...

I'm a reporter with voiceofsandiego.org and I'd love to write about this, hopefully soon! If you're the organizer or know who is, please e-mail me at emily.alpert@voiceofsandiego.org. Thanks!

Post a Comment