Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Stories Keep Me Going...

As an activist I sometimes fear that after a given amount of time I will fall into what is sometimes called "activist burnout" when politically motivated individuals just give up because change has not come fast enough. Most activists are familiar with the term or the concept and try to find ways to avoid this pitfall.

It's the emails like the one I received today from readers of the blog who keep me afloat and the heartfelt stories that people share with me every week. Today a MtF teen shared her story of discrimination, her fears, hopes and aspirations. I told her that she has her whole life ahead of her and that even though she is going through a rough time that she will have better days ahead and she can truly become an agent of change. I don't know her and she doesn't know me, but it's stories like hers that motivate me to continue the fight for full equality, dignity, and respect for all LGBT people.

I hope you will join me, because even saving one life, makes a world of difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment