Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tell the new Congress: Pass the Military Readiness Enhancement Act

Call on congress to support the Military Readiness Enhancement Act, to repeal the discriminatory "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" statute banning open military service by lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" applies to all Americans serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, including active duty, Reserve, and National Guard personnel. Over two million Americans serving in uniform today are bound by this discriminatory law; among them, an estimated 65,000 lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans in uniform live with the constant threat of a career-ending discharge under the ban. This is no way to treat patriotic Americans who volunteer to serve our nation in its time of need.

Please sign the Service members Legal Defense Network petition.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I know what y'all are talking about...

The thing that scares me is that it only
takes ONE homophobic person to kill one
open gay....I don't want to be at war and
have homophobic people in my platoon not get
my back if I was underfire....

TACKLE YOU HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is scary. I got into an argument with my friend after watching MILK. We were in my car and I saw a young couple and said, "F-----n' heteroes." I was upset because obviously heterosexuals take for granted being able to be open about their displays of affection without feeling fear. As they kiss in a parking lot at night, they don't have to fear that one homophobic person with a baseball bat will bash their heads.

Friendly fire might happen in the service, but we really need to take away the gay stigma and make sure that nobody's livelihood is taken away because of their sexual orientation. People are oppressed by economics. It's been done the black community and it's being done to some of our LGBT brothers and sisters. I'm sure many men/women who serve know that their fellow soldier is gay, but would still die for him/her.

I recommend reading Andre Dubus's story "The Dark Men" and his meditation entitled, "Imperiled Men." Both are about being in the closet while serving.
Andre Dubus is the writer of Killings, the basis for the movie In the Bedroom, and We Don't Live Here Anymore.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. I the window was rolled up when I said, "F-----n' heteroes." I don't do drive by cursing. Gotta do unto others as I do unto myself. Obviously I would be cultivating a hostile environment in which discrimination could flourish if I insulted them. Instead of living and dying by the sword, I'd rather do unto others as I do unto myself.

Post a Comment