Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy ThanksLiving 2008!

Happy ThanksLiving to all QU blog readers, you have truly become part of the extended online family. I am thankful for all your support and insight that you have provided over the course of many months, I look forward to renewed queer activism and spirit in the wake of our defeats this election day. United we stand, divided we fall, queers and allies together as one will bring about true equality as evidenced by the reality of the dreams of the great ones before us like Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohatmas Gandhi.

On this day we also must as queers extend our arms and hearts to those who have been so affected by this day we call "thanksgiving" that represents sorrow for millions. I am deeply saddened and in mourning for the millions of Natives of this land who were murdered, raped, and evicted from their homeland. This holiday represents the destruction of a beautiful and wise culture with rich spirituality and history of preserving the land and exploring its beauty and vastness.

Included in the destruction of heritage and culture were queer Natives, commonly referred to as Two-spirits.

http://www.intltwospiritgathering.org/
http://www.nativeout.com

I also am horrified by the continual massacre of beautiful sentient beings that are intelligent and kind only to be murdered in the name of food because they look different and aren't equated with deserving any rights. "Thanksgiving" has become associated with the massacre of hundreds of millions of Turkeys. Beings who are de-beaked, packed so tightly with the inability to move, forced to stand on excrement, having their throats slit while still conscious, and scalded to death in the feather removal tank.



The video above highlights the unacceptable standard practice on factory farms.

"In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —
and by that time no one was left to speak up." (Pastor Martin Niemöller)
I won't be part of the "Thanksgiving" tradition which does not honor life and speak up for others. ThanksLiving for me is about honoring others and aspiring to be grateful and committed to a better future. I honor the living tradition of the Natives, and respect the life and dignity of my fellow creatures. Happy ThanksLiving!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to say what I'm thinking. If you want mass food production there are going to be abuses.

That said, there's a bird roasting in the oven right this very moment.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to coordinate your protests with Join The Impact? CNN, FOX, MSNBC get involved when large numbers of people stand together. Seems like our movement is splintering because heads of organizations are not coordinating with each other. Please unify and plan so we can get more people on the street. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of nerve to assert that Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi's visions have not already been fulfilled. Both of these great men's dreams are being lived out today. You should be more respectful and stop making false assertions to better propel your platform forward.

Queers United said...

"evidenced by the reality of the dreams of the great ones before us like Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohatmas Gandhi."

I have said their dreams did come true, although the civil rights movement is not over for those groups either. Now, is the time for our dreams to come true and we follow the path of those like MLK and Gandhi who believed in non-violent resistance as a means to achieving true liberation.

Mewi said...

While I can only begin to imagine the cruelty done to Animals, I am a vegetarian and feel guilty even eating plant life. I feel everything has a right to live and if I could I'd not take anythings life, plant life, bacteria, anything.

But unfortunately we all have to live at the expense of other living things. v.v Poor Turkeys

Bill Graber said...

Happy Thanksgiving to our favorite honorary lesbian... hope you had a good one... we love ya Eric

Anonymous said...

If Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi's dreams have been fulfilled, they must not have had much vision. Having "a lot of nerve" is better in this case.

Social justice for all is still very much lacking, and I'd like to think King and Gandhi would have the moral compulsion to continue working for social amelioration if they were around today.

Anonymous said...

ah crap meant to post that in the "Is Thomas Beattie a Hermaphrodite?" thread.

Guess I'm the stupid one after all.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! :D

Anonymous said...

PS- RANT ON!!!!

Queers United said...

=)

Post a Comment